[Nagbukel] Bamboo Rice Cooker? Eh. Uh.

Latest Food on This Blog

» » » » [Nagbukel] Bamboo Rice Cooker? Eh. Uh.


Eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, 2NE1. Hallow hallow! Halo-halo! HelloHelloHello!!! I'm back with the sound of K-Pop! If you are a fan of K-Pop lollipop, I know you know what I was singing at the first line. Once again one more time repeat it again twice once more repeatedly! Come on sing! Eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, 2NE1! Eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, you gonna leave me alone, tama ba? lols! I love Sandara Park by the way highway superhighway far away!

I am so back again! I have a little back pain that's why I am back! Lols! I have no post for October because Palagutom Boy, the poorest food blogger, had no money to buy food last month! lols. I had a 1 month fasting, hihihi. Hihi. Hihi. (I am not laughing you know, I am saying Hi! Like hello! I just put it in cluster so I am saying many Hi, like hellohellohellohello. So let's say: Hihihihihihi. Natatawa ako hihihi. Vanal na Asho, Shantong Kavayo, natatawa ako hihihihi. Hi everyone!!! Take note: Hindi ako naka-hi.

Ok, ok. Look what I found! Because the Palagutom Boy was so damn poor that he did not eat for the whole month of October that's why he has no blog entry for October, he wandered in the forests, lol.

Palagutom Boy reached the mountain town of Nagbukel in the province of Ilocos Sur in search for food. He wandered in the forest until he saw an ermitanyo. The ermitanyo asked Palagutom Boy (P.B.) if he likes his Fita. I said yes sure! The ermitanyo was the one who gave me the fita, whew! The ermitanyo also gave me a drink, and irkkk! Starbucks! lols.

Anyway. Yes! I found a rice cooker. But take note, it was not run by electricity. It is a rice cooker bamboo! hihi. Using fire from 3 large stones with burning materials at the center, these bamboos were filled with uncooked rice. It was set to fire and viola! After 20 minutes, the rice is cooked inside the bamboo!


So after the rice was cooked inside these bamboos, what do you expect? Of course remove the rice from the bamboo and you know what, it was the most aromatic rice I have ever smelled. The water used came from a fresh spring and the bamboo can emit an aroma that blend with the rice.

The species of bamboo used in cooking the rice is locally called as "bolo." Bolo grows near the waterfalls where we are cooking that time. It grows in the forest where I wandered, lols.


So this is my mountain experience. This is what P.B. ate and discovered in the mountains of Nagbukel town. Have you witnessed this kind? Have you tried eating a rice from the Bamboo Rice cooker? Well well, baboosh! Palagutom Boy will be back again some time after matutunan ko nang mangaso ng mga hayop dito sa kabundukan! Whew!

Share


This post is filed under different categories. Included in these categories are the places where I experienced the food/restaurant. See the latest posts published under each topic or place by clicking the categories below.

You may also like

31 [Nagbukel] Bamboo Rice Cooker? Eh. Uh.

  1. Wow, I've always wanted to try that! Does the rice taste better when cooked inside a bamboo? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dems | Hmmm. I can't say, but I may say yes, but it will still depend on you, so try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father is a pure blooded Ilocano but I never got the chance to eat this :( maybe this coming vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wondering the same thing as Dems. From your own experience, does rice cooked in bamboo taste different from an electric rice cooker? Is it worth the hassle?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nakapanood na ako ng demo nito sa Subic. :) Pero di pa ako nakatikim. Mukhang masarap. ^_^

    P.S. Halatang matagal nalipasan ng gutom sa intro ng post. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen this way back in 2004 nung nag field trip kami.. really good.. with the taste, I think wala namang difference but it definitely smells better because of the aroma of the bamboo.. :)

    Cheers~!

    - Justin -

    The World According To Me

    ReplyDelete
  7. My late Lolo used to tell me his story regarding this process of cooking rice in bamboo when he was young and there was no electricity yet from the province he came from.

    ReplyDelete
  8. K-POP Fan ka pala EDMAR...hahahahaha...same kayo ng mga anak ko..toinks..by the way about your post BAMBOO as a rice cooker..hehehehe..we use to do that in our BUKID. My Aunts and Uncles will do the cooking because my father forget already how to cook rice in a bamboo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YANI | Do try it now before it's over, lols!

    ReplyDelete
  10. maspaborito.com | Definitely the one cooked in a bamboo! The aroma, the taste, the emotion (lols). I mean, it is great. But you should know how to cook it well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cris | Pinay Thrillseeker, | Bwahahaha! Oo, nalipasan talaga ng bongga. hihihi!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jaztien | The aroma will enhance the taste, pramiz! :p

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ellen Bernardino | I hope your lolo passed the process to anyone in the family? I mean, did he teach anyone of you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Raine Pal | Bwahaha. Not really a huge fan. But I love the vibe of the original Korean songs/music (not the surgeried ones, get away from that autotune, lols!). I also love their movies big time! Ka-inlove, yeee!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this i really wanted to try and do.. they said madali lang.. I just want to try and taste it sabi nila masarap daw. woot thank for the share

    ReplyDelete
  16. In the olden times our native brothers who does not have access to clay pots cooks their food in bamboo and this is also taught in survival lessons. I wish I will also have a chance to witness how they do it and taste it =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Chef | Masarap talaga siya pramiz!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ricky Bernardino | Wow nice! Yes, how I wish I also know how to do it, I also witnessed it, lels!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really love to try cooking using bamboo. I wish it was taught on us during my Boy Scout days hehe. For sure the rice do taste so much better than with those cooked with LPG or electricity.

    ReplyDelete
  20. we also have this Ilocos and we call it Tinubong. Very yummy. Very aromatic. Some also put some sugar on it so its a bit sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think we went to Ilocos years and years ago.. we were served with rice cooked in a bamboo too :) paired that with Pinakbet and that is what lunch is all about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, I love it when rice is cooked inside a bamboo. I got to try it at Abe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's a good skill to learn in case you're stuck in an island full of bamboos. :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. This reminds me of my grade school days when we camp at a nearby province in Rizal. Its worth the hardship when cooking inside a bamboo - very native and fresh..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Alwin Aguirre | Ow, me too! I wanna learn the technique big time!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ron Leyba | Exactly. I am particular with the aroma, the great taste follows :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. sayitnessie.com | Ness, I love tunubong! I think the process in making tinubong is the same!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mommy Pehpot | Nice! What a lunch! You guys are lucky to be served with that :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. controversialcomments | Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  30. markpogi | Haha. But be sure there is also rice there to cook, or else it will become purely bamboo, lols!

    ReplyDelete
  31. jem alvarado | Korek! And sentimental too, hehe.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting Rules:

1. Maging rsponsable lang po sa pag-kokomento. In English, you are welcome, LOL!
2. 'Wag pong mag-spam ok po ba?

Recent Restaurants and Food Hubs I Tried